Maryland Learner's Permit
Once you have completed your Drivers Ed course you will be ready to apply for your Maryland learner’s permit. You must:
1: Download and study your practice test
2: Prove that you completed a Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education Course
3: Via a local MVA office
How to get a Maryland learner’s permit
Depending upon your situation you may need various documents in order to obtain your MD driving permit. Get your Drivers License Easy Guide for a complete checklist of everything you need for your Maryland learners permit.
MD driving permit - Common Documents:
- Certified statement from a parent signed in front of an MVA representative
- Life insurance card
- Credit card statement
- Telephone or utility bill
- Birth certificate or certified copy
- Social Security card
- Valid U.S. passport or out-of-country passport
- ID Card
- Utility or telephone bill
- Checking or savings account statement
Depending on your age, you will need certain documents for your Maryland learners permit
Under 16 (some of your requirements include):
- Complete Learner's Permit School Attendance Certification form which must be given to the MVA in a sealed un-opened envelope provided by the applicant's school or county
- Tale a vision test
- Parent or guardian must sign the application form
If Over 18 - you may need one or more of the following:
- Type I Learner's Permit - Persons who have never held a driver's license, regardless of age, are required to first obtain a Type I Learner's Permit. This learner's permit is issued as part of the MVA's Rookie Driver program.
- Have completed a Maryland MVA approved standardized driver education program consisting of at least 30 hours of classroom instruction and at least 6 hours of behind the wheel instruction training
- Pay $50.00
For More information
Contact - Your local MVA at: 410-768-7000
TTY for the hearing impaired: 1-800-492-4575
Or download your Maryland Learners Permit Easy Guide and complete checklist.
Find out more about drivers education in Maryland here.