Maryland Learner's Permit
Wondering what the next step is after completing your Drivers Ed course? All you have to do is follow a few easy steps to apply for your Maryland learner’s permit. You must:
Obtaining a Maryland Learner’s Permit
Depending upon your situation you may need various documents in order to obtain your Maryland learner's permit. Get your Easy Guide™ for a complete checklist of everything you need.
- Certified statement from a parent signed in front of an MVA representative
- Life insurance card
- Credit card statement
- Telephone or utility bill
- Birth certificate or certified copy
- Social Security card
- Valid U.S. passport or out-of-country passport
- ID Card
- Utility or telephone bill
- Checking or savings account statement
- Complete Learner's Permit School Attendance Certification form which must be given to the MVA in a sealed un-opened envelope provided by the applicant's school or county
- Tale a vision test
- Parent or guardian must sign the application form
- Type I Learner's Permit - Persons who have never held a drivers license, regardless of age, are required to first obtain a Type I Learner's Permit. This learner's permit is issued as part of the MVA's Rookie Driver program.
- Have completed a Maryland MVA approved standardized driver education program consisting of at least 30 hours of classroom instruction and at least 6 hours of behind the wheel instruction training
- Pay $50
For More information
Contact - Your local MVA at: 410-768-7000
TTY for the hearing impaired: 1-800-492-4575
Or download your Maryland Learners Permit Easy Guide and complete checklist.
Find out more about drivers education in Maryland here.