Maryland Salvage Title

An auto involved in an accident in the state of Maryland becomes a salvage vehicle if the damage estimate is 100 percent of its value to completely repair or replace it. This will result in the issuance of a Maryland Salvage Certificate for the vehicle. It becomes a salvage vehicle and can't be driven on the highways or have a valid license plate. If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a MD Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many MVA related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. In addition to assistance in preparing official forms, the value added services and products you will receive include a comprehensive Easy Guide™ containing information relevant to your service needs; 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service from Road America. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the MVA in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local MVA.

3: Via a MVA office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local MVA office. Varying MVA offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the MVA closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your MVA allows you to make a personal appointment.

Maryland Salvage Titles

In the state of Maryland, a vehicle is deemed a total loss by an insurance company if repairing or rebuilding the vehicle is 75 percent or more of the market value as determined by the most current National Automobile Dealers Association Handbook. Once claimed as a total loss, your salvaged vehicle will be assigned a MD Salvaged Title. Your salvaged vehicle must be rebuilt or restored and pass inspection before it can be registered to be driven on the highways.

To learn more about Maryland Salvage Titles, read below:

Maryland Salvage Vehicle Inspection

Before applying for a Maryland Vehicle Salvage Certificate of Title, your vehicle must first receive a Maryland salvaged vehicle inspection by the Maryland State Police (MSP). To do this, you have to schedule a salvaged vehicle inspection online through the MSP Salvage Scheduling System. After the inspection has been completed, you can apply for a title and registration in person at any of the MVA branch offices.

Applying for a Maryland Salvage Certificate of Title

To apply for a Maryland Salvage Title you'll need to go in person to your local Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Administration branch (MVA). There, you'll need to give proof of ownership, lien release, and provide your inspection documentation from the Maryland State Police. Once you've met these requirements, you can fill out an Application for a Salvage Vehicle Certificate and pay the appropriate fees.

Maryland Salvage Title to Regular Vehicle Title

Once your salvaged vehicle in Maryland is rebuilt and/or repaired to being roadworthy and you've obtained a MD Salvage Certificate of Title, you can then apply for a MD Vehicle Title. Just go to your local MVA office location and bring with you:

  • Salvage certificate
  • Safety inspection paperwork
  • Bill of sale
  • Odometer statement
  • Driver's license
  • Documentation that you have valid insurance

Once you provide the required information to the MVA, you can fill out a MD Vehicle Title Application.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in Maryland

Normally each state follows the same guidelines to acquire an abandoned automobile. An abandoned vehicle title in Maryland can be claimed by anyone as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. To claim an abandoned vehicle and title it in Maryland, you'll have to first report the abandoned vehicle to your local Maryland Authorities who will investigate and try to contact the owner themselves. If 60 days have passed without notice from the prior owner, you'll be able to file for a MD Title/and or Registration.

To see if the vehicle you're trying to claim falls under these guidelines, please visit your local Maryland MVA office.